When the fall season comes, so do the leaves, and your annual gutter cleaning. Gutter cleaning requires both prep work and debris removal to get the job done and keep your property appearance up for the colder seasons ahead. It is essential for your property because if not done properly, the debris can create clogs that will ruin the foundation, and possibly cause harmful injuries.
Depending on how many trees you have hanging around the gutters, and the kind of weather you get in your area, it’s best to clean your gutters at least once a year. To get the process started, you will generally need a ladder to reach the gutters, gloves to protect your hands, some type of scoop tool to collect the debris, a hose to rinse the gutters, and a tarp to place on the ground to collect the debris.
Here are some other helpful tips to clean your gutters:
- Make sure you have a sturdy and strong ladder placed at a level surface. It will also help to get a ladder that is extendable to reach some higher up gutters. Having a helper around while using the ladder is also a good idea in case of an emergency.
- Cleaning gutters is in fact a messy job. Make sure you wear gloves and old, protective clothes that you wouldn’t mind getting a little dirty. Thick, suede gloves are recommended over other materials, like leather or cotton. It’s also a good idea to wear safety goggles for eye protection.
- As for actually cleaning the gutters, you can use a “gutter scoop” found at a hardware store. Its design makes it easy to fit perfectly in the gutter to scoop out the debris. If that isn’t available, a simple sandbox shovel or kitchen spatula will do the trick.
- Now that you’ve taken out the debris, where are you gonna put it while you’re on the ladder? Simply lay out a tarp on the ground below to collect all the debris and protect your lawn from damage.
- At the end, make sure to spray the gutters and roof with a garden hose to get any final debris out and check the gutter metal to see if it needs any quick repairs before the winter season.
SINCE 1980 YOUNG & ASSOCIATES, WOOD-RIDGE, NJ HAS BEEN THE TOP PROPERTY MANAGEMENT & REAL ESTATE COMPANY FOR RESIDENTIAL AND COMMERCIAL PROPERTIES THROUGHOUT THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL NEW JERSEY AREA.
Located in Wood-Ridge, Bergen County, NJ, Young and Associates has over 30 years’ experience successfully managing residential and commercial properties in Northern and Central New Jersey.
Maintaining the highest standards of reliability and accountability, Young and Associates gives property owners peace of mind that comes from knowing their property is in trusting hands. Servicing properties primarily in Bergen, Passaic and Essex Counties, Young and Associates manages residential HOA communities, condos, co-ops and apartment complexes, golf courses and commercial properties.
Young and Associates now offers realty services through Young Realtors. Our licensed real estate brokers and associates can help you buy or sell your home. For more information about our services at Young & Associates, click here.
Young & Associates can be reached at (201) 939-8200.